Your motivation to study comes either from inside or from outside. The former is called internal motivation and it is the drive to study and perform that you can find inside yourself. The latter is known as external motivation and it is connected with outside stimuli such as a good grade, better job, or higher salary.
Neither internal nor external motivation is better. In fact, it's best if they intertwine. The outer stimuli can successfully trigger your drive to succeed by making your goal more attractive and worth achieving.
When your internal motivation fails you, always seek some external stimuli to improve your motivation to study. It's important especially when you have long months of exam prep before you.
How to Improve Your Motivation to Study
There are different ways to improve your exam motivation:
- 1. MAKE YOUR GOAL RELEVANT and imagine how the new skills and qualifications can positively affect your life in the future.
- 2. FIND POSITIVE MOTIVATION (e.g., I'm going to learn some useful stuff) or negative motivation (e.g., If I fail, I will disappoint my family), whichever helps!
- 3. LEARN ABOUT MOTIVATION – you can nourish your motivation by understanding how motivation works.
- 4. SEEK MOTIVATIONAL WORDS, i.e., a nice motivational motto that can trigger you to perform.
- 5. ASK OTHERS TO SUPPORT YOU, e.g., ask a friend to motivate you by regularly asking about your study progress.
- 6. TRACK YOUR PROGRESS to control your prep and hold yourself accountable.
- 7. CREATE A STUDY PLAN that will show you how much you need to study weekly if you don't want to drop out.
- 8. ADOPT A GROWTH APPROACH that can help you become a better student and accept the everyday challenge of your exam prep!
Choose Your CFA® Exam Motivational Motto
Need some motivation to keep going with your CFA exam prep? Here you can find some motivational mottos to print out and look at whenever you feel you won't make it!
- Choose the CFA exam motivational motto you like best.
- Print it out and pin it in your study space.
- Look at it every time you get demotivated and recall what you wish to achieve!
CFA EXAM MOTIVATIONAL MOTTOS, ALL LEVELS
Motivational Quotes for Studying
You can also turn to some aphorisms. These are the words said by famous people. Words that have affected and motivated tons of students around the world. Go on – choose the one to your liking. Then, print it out and pin it in your study space.
7 quotes to boost your motivation to study:
- 1. The secret of getting ahead is getting started. Mark Twain
- 2. If you can dream it, you can do it. Walt Disney
- 3. Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me. Carol Burnett
- 4. You can never quit. Winners never quit, and quitters never win. Ted Turner
- 5. If you’re going through hell, keep going. Winston Churchill
- 6. Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough. Og Mandino
- 7. Develop a passion for learning. If you do, you will never cease to grow. Anthony J. D'Angelo
UPDATE: This post was originally published in 2018 and then it was significantly re-edited in Feb 2022.